Syed Sallauddin Pasha is internationally recognized for his pioneering dance therapy and innovative wheelchair dances for persons with special needs. His three decades of work has created social-cultural equality, dignity, inclusion and empowerment in art and culture for the differently abled.
ABOUT SYED SALLAUDDIN PASHA
Syed Sallauddin Pasha is a great visionary and creator. He has received International recognition and awards for his pioneering therapeutic wheelchair dance theatre productions for persons with special needs. More than three decades he has innovated and choreographed more than 100 wheelchair dance therapy productions promoting equality of opportunity, equal platform, and inclusion of people with disabilities.
LIFE AND CAREER
Syed Sallauddin Pasha, born in 1968, hails from a family of healers from Anekal, Karnataka, India. As a child, he enacted lead roles in Kannada and Sanskrit plays and Studied Carnatic music from TS Ramamani. He studied Bharatanatyam under late K. P. Kittappa Pillai, Narmada and Padmini Rao and Kathak under late Maya Rao.
He graduated as a Choreographer from Natya Institute of Kathak and Choreography, Bangalore University and has worked with Theater and Film personalities of the country like B.V. Karanth, M.S. Sathyu of Garm Hava fame and Renuka Sharma, actors Vishnuvardhan and Ramesh Aravind. Ability Unlimited is the brainchild of Pasha, dedicated to persons with disabilities.
CHOREOGRAPHY – PERFORMANCES
Pasha has promoted dance and movement therapy for people with special needs. He directed Europe’s biggest therapeutic theatre project Ramayana on Wheels with 108 Finnish special children and adults, in collaboration with Espoo, which was performed at International Theater Festival. He has also conducted therapeutic workshops for tsunami victims. He has also orchestrated Durga and Martial Arts on Wheels with 200 differently-abled children and adults. His dance productions include Bharatanatyam on wheelchairs, Sufi dance on wheelchairs, Yoga on wheelchairs, Bhagawad Gita on wheelchairs, Ramayana On wheels, Rumi On Wheels, Chariots of the Gods, wheelchair on wings.
Pasha has presented his dance performances at Rashtrapati Bhavan for the President of India Pranab Mukherjee. His Miracle On Wheels shows for the United Nation Information Centre and Indian Council for UN Relations on 2 May 2015 at FICCIauditorium, New Delhi on the anniversary of Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Pasha presented his Miracle on wheel performance for Taj Mahotsav in February 2015. He has also presented Kathak Dance Performance in conjunction with the exhibition of “Islamic Art of India” on the occasion of the exhibition launching in March, 2002 at the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia, officiated by the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohamad and for the special performance graced by His Majesty Sirajuddin of Perlis, King of Malaysia.
WORK IN FILM AND TELEVISION
Pasha choreographed Chande Pe Dance song for a special episode on the Persons with disabilities in the first season of Aamir Khan‘s TV series Satyamev Jayate. He has acted as Saint Shishunala Sharif in Kannada teleserial, Eshwaran Alla Nine Yalla directed by Renuka Sharma. He acted in the Kannada Film Parva with late Kannada superstar Dr.Vishnuvardhan. He danced for M.S. Sathyu‘s Doordarshan serial Kayar in 1992.
WHEELCHAIR DANCE INNOVATION
Syed Sallauddin Pasha’s Dancing wheels is the most creative and unique initiative in the world of Indian performing arts.
Syed Sallauddin Pasha’s Dance on Wheelchairs in India by differently abled artistes on Wheelchairs & Crutches is mesmerising, empowering and captivating the audience, thus creating awareness about their potential and skills with their ability unlimited. Unbelievably the abilities of these artists with disabilities are amazing – they are accomplished to portray the most difficult scenes through their spectacular dance performances in inspiring the masses.
Each of Pasha’s innovative performances Wheelchairs and Crutches are converted into different props according to the dance themes like Chariot, Sufi, bows-arrows, swords, chakras, horses etc.
Wheelchair dance in India has gained tremendous popularity all over the world due to its unique style of dancing on wheelchairs and crutches. Pasha has trained his students professionally in Classical, Contemporary, Modern, Folk, Martial Arts and Yoga for more than a decade. His performing unit has travelled widely and featured in prestigious National and International dance festivals and Televisions Shows with the message of dignity, equality, inclusion and accessibility.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 1994 – Proclamation from City of Marion Indiana, USA. for presenting First Classical Dances of India Day
- 1995 – 1998 Member of Karnataka Sangeeta Nritya Academy : Nominated by Government of Karnataka, India.
- 1999- Certificate of Appreciation from Dept. of Sainik Welfare and Research : for raising funds for Kargil Victims Families through dance performances.
- 2001 – Award from Governor of Karnataka V.S.Rama Devi for his outstanding contribution and service for the persons with disabilities.
- 2002 – Certificate of Appreciation from Islamic Art Museum Malaysia, launched by Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dato’ Seri Dr Mahathir bin Mohammed and Graced by His Majesty, Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Ibni-Al Marhum Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail, King of Malaysia and his Queen.
- 2003 – Recognition from Espoo (ESBO) city cultural services for creating Ramayana for more 100 special need children from Finland.
- 2005 – Certificate of Appreciation from Action Aid International : for conducting Therapeutic Theatre Play/Workshop for Tsunami affected people at Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- 2006 – Certificate of Recognition from Town of Hempstead, New York, USA.
- 2006- Official Festival Artiste for Salaam Music Village, London : For giving excellent performance throughout the event.
- 2009 – Jury National Award Committee Ministry Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
- 2007 – National Award for the welfare of persons with disabilities by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
- 2007 – Certificate of Appreciation from National Trust – Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment : for making persons with disabilities more visible in the community through Unique dance productions ” Ramayana On Wheels”
- 2008 – Sanskriti Foundation Award for Social-cultural achievement
- 2008 – Limca Book of World Records for innovating Sufi Dance Wheelchairs, Martial Arts on Wheelchairs, Bharatanatyam On Wheelchairs.
- 2008 – Limca Book of World Records for directing more than 100 Indian Therapeutic Theatre productions and 10,000 performances.
- 2009 – Former Jury Member for National Award : Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Government of India.
- 2010 – Karmaveer Puraskaar Award
- 2010 CCN – IBN Award Super Idol Maker Award for making differently -abled a superhero
- 2012 – Uday Shankar Choreography Award: To motivate and inspire to take dance beyond boundaries. To revolutionise the space, unlimited abilities and creating new dance space for all physically challenged. For creating a new niche for contemporary choreography and showing exemplary courage in promoting his cause. To has set the tone for new directions in Indian dance, Bangalore, India
- 2012 – Certificate of Excellence from National Human Rights Commission for his humanitarian effort, National Integration and for innovative dance theatre production for persons with disabilities.
- 2013 – Executive Body Member Natya Institute of Kathak and Choreography affiliated to Bangalore University.
- 2015 – Alva’s Nudisiri Award He was chosen for the Alva’s Nudisiri Award of outstanding social services. Mudibidri, Mangalore, India.
- 2015 – PARAS MANI AWARD for unmatched contribution in uplifting differently abled in the field of dance.
- 2015 -Former Jury Member for National Fellowships: Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- 2016 – Vishista Kannadiga Prashasthi from Delhi Karnataka Sangha. Delhi, India.
- 2015- PARAS MANI AWARD : for Unmatched Contribution in Uplifting Differently – Abled children in the field of Dance by Sunaina.
- 2018 – Recognition from by Parliament of Canada – House of Commons for his tireless effort, commitment, dedication and service to the community. Canda.
- 2018 – Lifetime Achievement Award for Dance Movement Therapy – from Sancheti Healthcare Academy, Pune, India.
- 2019 – Zee Kannada Award: for outstanding contribution for the empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- 2019 – Karmaveer Maharatna Puruskar : Award for Social – Cultural Inclusion and Equal Platform for the Differently Abled people.
- 2019 – Karnataka Rajyotsava Award : for Serving Art and Culture for more than three decades.
- 2019 – Syndicate Member for Gangubai Hanagal Music and Performing Arts University : Appointed by Government of Karnataka.
- * A- Grade Bharatanatyam Dancer Doordarshan, Government of India
- * Indian Council for Cultural Relations- Government of India : Established Bhartanatyam Dancer and Kathak Dancer
WORKSHOPS AND TRAINING . . .
Pasha received national and International recognition for his three decades of innovative work for differently abled
Miracle on Wheels is transforming the lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India.
Your tireless effort and commitment exemplify the very best of the Canadian spirit. May your dedication and service…
The powerful performance and the collaboration with local performers from the differently abled community, has left a legacy…
Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared a three-week nationwide lock down starting midnight Tuesday 24 March 2020 for 21…read more
After a houseful successful show on a innovative dancing wheels by Syed Sallauddin Pasha for scientists all over India at…read more
Karmaveer Maharatna Award. I sincerely want to thank the Almighty and my wife Mahiraa Jaan Pasha for being…read more
ಹುಬ್ಬೇರುಸುವ ಅಂಗವಿಕಲರ ನೃತ್ಯ ರೂಪಕ ..ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮ ಸಭಿಕರನ್ನು ಅಕ್ಷರಶಃ ಮಂತ್ರಮುಗ್ಧಗೋಳಿಸಿತು….ವಿಜಯವಾಣಿ.ಅರಮನೆಯ ಅವರಣದಲ್ಲೊಂದು ಅದ್ಭುತ ಲೋಕ …ಪ್ರಜಾವಾಣಿIt is always a great privilege to…read more